Monday, April 26, 2010

UK TOUR 2010 - DAY 1

Thursday April 22nd, 2010

Landed in London at 6:30 am., after a 7-1/2 hour flight from Toronto. Made it through customs without a problem (ironically not a small feat at Heathrow) and picked up the rental car.

I of course got in the left side of the car, sat for a second and wondered where the hell the steering wheel was. After taking a quick glance around to make sure that no one was looking - I slinked out of the car and climbed in on the right, and “correct” side. I have always considered myself a worldly and well traveled guy and had no concerns about driving on the left side of the road, until I realized that all the previous tours I had someone else driving and so never really drove on that side of the road. Hmmm!

That said I headed out of the airport and toward my first roundabout. We have a roundabout (one that is) in Nashville at the top of music row and although it took us awhile to learn to manage it while checking out the naked statue of “Musica” that it circles ‘round – it served as a source of much confidence for me.

I don’t know if it was a jet lagged brain or just total stupidity, but as I went into the first roundabout I failed to figure out that you have to splinter off of it or you just keep going around and around. That was illustrated by me making the comment (to myself – out loud) “those sheep look a lot like the ones over ………there”


After heading down the M25, realizing I didn’t want to head down the M25, but the M4 – I was on my way in the direction of Wales and made Bristol around 11am.

Bristol is a cool town, hilly, old, with a great city center and harbor area. It was my first city driving challenge, made harder by the fact that the Prime Ministerial debates were being held there and traffic, security and road closures were conspiring.


After the buzz in my head gave way to semi-conscious rambling I found a hotel, snagged a room and slept for a few hours. As luck would have it (and believe me it was only luck) I was only a mile or two from the venue. I got to the venue about 8, met Dave the sound man and headed across the street for some Tai food. A quick sound check around 9 pm and then people started filling the little performance room, some new faces and some folks who saw me last year and wanted to come again. I was tired and the throat was raspy (I was a little worried) but when show time came my voice was there and it felt great to be back at the Prom. There’s nothing like performing for folks who are there to hear you and excited for it – really gave me the energy I needed and made for a great first night. I played two sets and left about midnight.

Feeling completely confident in my driving skills I set up for a direct shot back to the hotel…..then I hit a roundabout and got lost! I finally made a desperate turn down a side street where cars were parked on either side and the passage was about 6 inches on either side – freaked me out – but a couple more turns later, out popped my hotel like an Oasis in a very dizzying desert.

I’m heading out early tomorrow to Ipswich for a set at the BBC at 2pm. to promote tomorrow nights show at PJ McGintys.

So, the count for today:

3 - Countries
4- times trying to get in on the wrong side of the car
2 – beers that were pretty damn good
110 - sheep (if you count them over and over again as you ‘roundabout)
1 – show down
5 – shows to go

No comments:

Post a Comment