Tuesday, April 27, 2010

UK TOUR 2010 - DAY 3

Saturday April 24th.2010




Woke up about 10:30am,soaked up a English Tea and wandered the old narrow corridors of the pub.
Not long after it was time to head toward the Orwell River and the Hallow Tree Scout Campgrounds where the Bluegrass Fest was being held. Veronica drove me out there for a noon sound check while Dave made preparations to go out of town to check out a new band.

We got to the festival sight and saw the familiar signs of a Bluegrass Festival, with tents and campers and groups of musicians’ sitting around a circle of instrument cases jamming away. After we got checked in and walked through the indoor clogging and step dancing hall – we began to hear the ring of banjos, fiddles and mandolins all the way to the main stage tent. I got my sound check in, met the sound guys and promoters (all really nice and dedicated music folks) and drive back to the Pub to shower (I got a hot tip on how to work the damn thing) change and rehearse a little.

An hour later, we were back in the car and headed back to the festival grounds for the show. I was the only American and the only solo act on the bill. Had a great show, about 100 people in the tent. They were incredibly responsive and it was a blast to play for them. I sold a bunch of CD’s afterward and met with fans for about 45 minutes. They were truly fun to be around – so exuberant about the music – I became instantly addicted to them!

We drove back to the pub at about 4:00pm. I packed up, got some directions (that I would later screw up) and headed out by 5pm for Cambridge. The ride to Cambridge was a little longer than expected, although with my recent history with roundabouts and the like, maybe should have been expected.

I got in town around 7pm, driving past those old, classy as hell – collegiate buildings flower laden central parks and the punting boats along the river. I made my way up to the Venue just in time to get a quick sound check before dinner. Bernard Hoskins and all of his volunteers were so welcoming and excited for the show – man does that ever make a difference to the soul of a solo Troubadour.

I shared the night with a couple of talented Liverpool guys, Henry Priestman and Pete Riley. Henry had been in the punk scene with some major label success in the early ‘80’s, now doing the singer-songwriter circuit. Pete is great singer songwriter in his own right, but also tours as a guitarist with Henry and Edwin McCain.

It was a sold out out show in a bricked basement of a restaurant – very cool, old style hootenanny venue. I took the stage first and had a fun set. There are times you get in front of an audience that is there because they just love music, they want you to be great, they want you to move them and there’s no way to fail. This was that type of audience.
Last year, this was the last stop on our tour and I had full blown Pneumonia at the time, so they don’t remember me as a singer as much as they remember me as a drugged out looking Zombie…. Again – making it a little easier to impress this year!!

I was introduced by my new friend popular BBC Radio HOst, Sue Merchant. She's a cool bean with a great sprit about her!

The audience was a quick study with “Searching” and “Stars in Their Eyes” and sang along mightily – it was over way too soon for me. The guys delivered their sets with great songs and a lot of witty English humor – really enjoyed them.
We capped the evening off upstairs in the restaurant and then I headed home with Dave and his wife Suzanne to crash. Right now as I am finishing up this blog while sitting on their futon (which I think I may have just broken). I’m looking at his collection of guitars; including an early 50’s Hoffner Hollow Bodied 6 string that Jim Moran would salivate over .

















I also tried to fit in my suitcase – but no go!

We are going to get up fairly early tomorrow, walk through the neighborhood and have a little breakfast. I am going to try to leave for London early (about noon) since its a couple hours always and I get lost and (oh yes) the London Marathon will be going on tomorrow. So, you can imagine the scene of me trying to find the next venue. I have an early show, 5:30-7:30 at the Grey Horse at Kingston on the Thames. My plan is to then skip money on a hotel, drive around London all night and then head to the airport to return the car - in the wee hours of Monday morning. My flight to flight to Philly and Nashville is at noon (where I’m sure I will be asleep halfway through taxiing to the runway).

So…..the count for the day:

1 – walking up to the wrong side of the car (I’m getting better)
759 – car miles since Thursday morning
32 – extra miles (given the fact I blew right past Cambridge)
3 – nights in a row going to bed after 3am
0 – internet access to post these blogs yet (hopefully tomorrow)
4 – gigs down
1 – to go










No comments:

Post a Comment